Follow Our Socials

Changes to Explosives Act

On May 22nd, new changes that impact the buying of ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐˜„๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ some ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ด๐—ฒ๐˜๐˜€ came into effect.

To purchase black or smokeless powder, a buyer must provide proof that they possess ONE of the following:

โ€ข Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)

โ€ข Fireworks Operator Certificate (FOC)

โ€ข Public Agency Identification Number (PAIN)

To purchase reactive targets (type S.2), a buyer must provide proof that they possess a Purchase and Acquisition Licence. The document number must be recorded.

We recommend that customers that do not have a firearm license (PAL) are encouraged to get their license so that they can continue to buy powders. NRCAN has expressed that there remain safety and security concerns for powders being purchased for nefarious purposes. Requiring a Firearms PAL to purchase black and smokeless powder is an additional security measure to help ensure these products donโ€™t end up in the wrong hands.

Regarding business-to-business sales, the intent is to allow businesses to purchase propellant powder using their Business Firearms Licence. Future amendment to the Regulations will make this clear.

In the meantime, NRCAN will use policy guidance to inform their inspectors and other businesses that a business may purchase propellant powder using a Business Firearms Licence. This is not expected to come into effect until 2025.

join our mailing list to stay up to date

This is a success preview text.

This is a error preview text.