To protect the 4500 small businesses and 48,000 jobs that make up the sporting arms industry in Canada, the CSAAA is asking the next government to:
- Repeal Bill C-71 and instead address the root causes of gun crime and provide law enforcement with the tools needed to crack down on illegal firearms activity;
- Work with industry, Canada’s sport shooting associations and our athletes to recognize sport shooting and better understand the firearms used for sport shooting;
- Work with industry to re-write the Canadian Firearms Marking Regulation by the end of 2019 and close this file by its coming-into-effect date of December 1st 2020 to prevent further business disruption and protect public safety;
- Establish structured guidelines to the firearms classification process that respects industry and provides for an appropriate appeal process
- Ensure industry representation on the Firearms Advisory Committee to consider the economic impact of firearms policy and provide technical firearms expertise to the committee and government.